Eureka! Program Coordinator
Position: Eureka! Program Coordinator
Reports to: Associate Director of Programs & Advocacy
To Apply, please send cover letter and resume to: Cherice Arrington, Associate Director of Programs & Advocacy CArrington@girlsincapa-nj.org Please send in PDF format including your full name and “Eureka! Program Coordinator Application” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received through January 15th, or until the position is filled.
Organization Description: Girls Inc. inspires all girls to be strong, smart, and bold. Our comprehensive approach to whole girl development equips girls to navigate gender, economic, and social barriers and grow up healthy, educated, and independent. Girls Inc. responds to the changing needs of girls through research-based programs and public education efforts that empower girls to understand, value, and assert their rights. The Girls Inc. national network serves over 160,000 girls through 83 affiliates. Girls Inc. of Greater Philadelphia & Southern New Jersey (GIGPHSNJ) is the local affiliate serving 2,700 girls in the Greater Philadelphia region.
Eureka! Program Description: Eureka! is a five-year program that brings 8-12th grade girls onto local college and university campuses for intensive summer sessions. In years one and two, participants engage in STEM exploration and leadership development activities. In years three and five, participates engage in more intense STEM activities, learn job readiness skills, and participate in advanced post-secondary planning initiatives. In addition, job shadowing, college tours, and STEM externships are provided to 10th-12th grade students. With complementary activities in sports and physical fitness, healthy living, and financial literacy, Eureka! fully fosters educational, professional, and personal development. The Eureka! program also continues through the school year, during which cohorts of 20-25 girls meet and explore personal and professional development opportunities. Through the program, girls are introduced to requirements and resources that make higher education and future career goals attainable, allowing them to envision themselves as an important part of the STEM workforce.
Position Summary: We are currently seeking a Eureka! Program Coordinator who is passionate about the Girls Inc. mission and excited to motivate more girls to consider post-secondary and career pathways in STEM. The Eureka! Program coordinator will support the development and oversight of year-round Eureka! programming by coordinating monthly learning sessions, summer camp experiences, quarterly parent meetings, and internship opportunities for participants.
Program Management/ Administration
- Collaborate and oversee Eureka! Program Specialists to coordinate and manage the implementation of the Eureka! activities for years 1 & 2 (focus on STEM and leadership development) and years 3-5 (focus on STEM career exploration, training, and post-secondary planning).
- Review lessons with Eureka! Program Specialists to ensure they meet program goals and spark curiosity, creativity, independence, positive risk-taking and confidence in girls.
- Ensure that lessons are aligned with Next Generation Science Standards and Youth Development practices.
- Implement programs that are developmentally and culturally appropriate.
- Lead the recruitment and interview process for girls and their families.
- Facilitate family engagement sessions to promote girls and family interactions within the program.
- Plan an annual Girls Inc. Eureka! Retreat for participants and mentors.
- Establish a positive rapport and a safe learning environment for youth and their families.
- Communicate regularly with families to provide program updates including but not limited to logistics, behavior, and attendance.
- Supervise Eureka! participants on field trips to STEM career exploration workshops, educational outings, and other Girls Inc. outings.
- Maintain and implement high quality and safety standards for physical and emotional safety.
- Act in accordance with Girls Inc. policies and procedures.
Community Collaboration and Partnership
- Participate in program planning meetings with university and corporate partners. Cultivate new and existing corporate, higher education, and community partnerships to provide supplementary activities for the Eureka! program.
- Represent and actively participate in key community committees and meetings related to program focus, goals, and youth development. Share findings with Eureka! team.
- Foster relationships with school partners. This includes spending non-direct service time at sites to meet with teachers/administrators, observe students in site setting, talk with administrators about the students’ progress, and execute recruitment and retention strategies.
Reporting and Evaluation
- Collect and keep appropriate records of participants’ membership, participation, and individual projects. This includes program applications, program surveys, Strong, Smart & Bold Outcome Measurement Survey (SSBOS), parent consent forms, and other documents required for participation in the Eureka! program.
- Collect, enter, and track program data in Girls Inc. database including demographics and program hours.
- Maintain required paperwork with accuracy – logs, attendance, records, etc. for purposes of evaluation/reports. Generate written reports as required.
- Develop retention strategies with the goal of 90% retention year to year and identify areas of program improvement and expansion.
- Attend events and fundraisers that support the organization’s mission.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Participate in local and Girls Inc. National trainings essential to the execution of job functions.
- Participate in staff meetings and conferences to share ideas and concerns.
- Take advantage of other professional development opportunities.
- Strong passion for the Girls Inc. mission and values.
- Collaborative, optimistic and energetic.
- Experience working with middle school and high school youth.
- Experience in leading post-secondary planning, leadership development, or STEM exploration programs.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented.
- Independent, self-directed with a high degree of professionalism.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexibility in hours, including some evening and weekend assignments.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to connect with people individually and to interface with families, community organizations, businesses, and workplaces in the Greater Philadelphia region.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in education, STEM, social sciences, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in youth development specifically in program coordination and/or management.
- Advanced skills in the use of Word, Excel, & PowerPoint.
- A sense of humor.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume in PDF format to Cherice G. Arrington, Associate Director of Programs & Advocacy at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of email should include your full name and “Eureka! Program Coordinator Application”.
Applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received through January 15th, or until the position is filled.
December 7, 2020