We are always looking for dedicated volunteers, and there are so many ways to get involved:
School-Based Volunteer Opportunities (September-May)
- Volunteer as a “Book Buddy” to provide one-on-one reading help for a girl for our Early Grade Literacy Initiative
- Book Buddies assist us in making reading fun while building the critical early literacy skills our children need to be successful in life.
- Participants in the program benefit from the support of adult literacy mentors doing various literacy-based activities including: individual or small group read-a-loud activities, work with flash cards, or playing reading games.
- Become a BOLD Futures mentor
- Girls Inc.’s BOLD Futures program empowers all girls to become independent and constructive adults by helping them to develop self-esteem and the skills to make positive life choices.
- BOLD Futures is an after-school mentoring program designed for girls ages 9-14.
- Mentors must be able to meet with mentees once a week for two hours per week throughout the school year.
- Become a Program Facilitator
- Program Facilitators work directly with our participants and deliver our gender-specific, research based curriculum. Volunteers co-lead Girls Groups of up to 15 girls once per week both in school and during after-school hours for 8-10 weeks.
- We offer training, curriculum, supplies, and support you throughout your time as a Program Facilitator.
- This is an ideal internship opportunity!
- Volunteers interested in connecting directly with programs should expect to have availability that falls between:
- 8am-3pm or 3pm-6pm Mon-Fri during academic year
- 9am-3pm Saturdays during academic year
- 9am-3pm Mon-Fri during summer programs
Out of School Time Volunteer Opportunities (Saturdays, October-May)
- Volunteer opportunities for STEM Professionals
- STEM Professionals bring their experience, expertise, passion for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to our girls as guest speakers, field trip hosts, or STEM coaches.
- Work directly with our participants to develop their enthusiasm for STEM professions and interest in advanced math and science courses.
- STEM Coaches work directly with participants to complete hands-on activities where they explore, ask questions, persist, and solve problems—and view STEM careers as exciting and realistic options for themselves
- Become a Leadership Mentor
- As a mentor, you will work directly with participants from our Ambassadors Club (girls age 14-18) or our rising stars (age 11-14) group mentoring programs. These leadership programs are designed to prepare the next generation of future leaders with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be successful.
- Work with the Ambassadors on skill development in public speaking, essay writing, developing a personal brand, post-secondary planning or help the Rising Stars cultivate their leadership skills in efforts to create lasting social change through the completion of a community action project.
Post-Secondary Planning and Career Exploration
- Be a Guest Speaker
- Professionals can connect with our participants to expose them to a range of career opportunities as part of an outreach initiative in schools, organizations, and community centers in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties.
- Volunteers from local corporations, organizations, and academic institutions accompany Girls Inc. facilitators into classrooms to inspire girls to dream and reach their full potential.
- We guide you in planning an engaging, dynamic lesson or presentation for a group of 10-15 girls. This is a one-time commitment between 30-45 minutes!
- Volunteer your company or organization as a Career Exploration site for a day
- Your company and employees can help connect girls to the many career opportunities that exist in your industry while encouraging them to pursue the education necessary to achieve those careers.
- We match you with a Girls Inc. staff person to assist you in planning the day’s events.
Just give us your name, email, and which of the above opportunities you would like to be involved with!