Code of Conduct
Core Organizational Values
Vision: Empowered girls and an equitable society.
Mission: To inspire all girls to be strong, smart, and bold .
Working Strong, Smart and Bold at Girls Inc.
Mindful of our respect for one another, our regard for the reputation of Girls Inc., our pride in our personal and professional standing, and our obligation to empower girls nationwide, it is expected that all Girls Inc. staff will:
- Conduct personal and professional relationships with awareness that, by agreeing to participate in the fulfillment of the organization’s mission, we assume responsibility for the honor of the Girls Inc. community both internally and in the external world.
- Recognize that within the organization each person takes part in a social contract that assumes the fair, responsive, straightforward, and courteous communication and behavior that persons of good will and mutual trust may expect from one another.
We will accomplish the above as we encourage the next generation of young women to become responsible citizens who will effect positive change in their own communities and work environments.
At Girls Inc., every employee is treated with the utmost respect and integrity. We as an organization embrace and value diversity and do not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. We will make best efforts to meet the highest standard of performance, quality, and service as we work to achieve our mission.
We will encourage a culture where individuals feel free to express their opinions, engage in open, honest debate in the interest of seeking truth and building consensus.
We are committed to professional development of all of our peers and take seriously our responsibility to support, nurture, teach, and inspire each other.
Girls Inc. strives to inform and educate the general public regarding the strengths and needs of girls and young women. The Girls Inc. National Council adopts policy statements that express its values and convictions on issues that are considered critical to the health and wellbeing of all girls. These policies, along with the Girls Inc. Girls’ Bill of Rights form the foundation for our programs, advocacy, communication, and public education activities.
Girls Inc. will provide information that reflects and fosters these values and gives the public truthful, clear, and full disclosure of the organization’s programs, activities, finances, operating standards, and practices.
We will respect the privacy rights of all individuals and refrain from inappropriately disclosing confidential, privileged or nonpublic information.
Philanthropy and Donor Rights
To ensure that donors and prospective donors have full confidence in Girls Inc. to use donations effectively and for their intended purposes, Girls Inc. staff and volunteer leadership will:
- Provide access to the organization’s financial statements upon request and publish annual reports;
- Assure that all contributions are used for the purposes for which they are given;
- Provide appropriate acknowledgement and recognition;
- Assure all donations are handled with respect and confidentiality afforded by law, and upon request delete names from mailing lists that Girls Inc. may share;
- Respond promptly and accurately to donor questions.
Girls Inc. employees and philanthropic volunteers will practice fundraising with integrity, honesty, and adherence to the absolute obligation to safeguard the public trust.
Girls Inc. is responsible to its stakeholders that include affiliates, board, donors, and others who have placed faith in our mission, support our goals and work on behalf and with girls and young women. To uphold this trust we will:
- Promote good stewardship of Girls Inc. resources;
- Refrain from using organizational resources for non-Girls Inc. purposes;
- Observe and comply with all laws and regulations affecting Girls Inc., employees, officers and board members;
- Insure open and transparent reporting and fiscal accountability.
We will disclose fully the state of our organization, recognizing that power comes from a healthy evaluation of both our strengths and weaknesses, and uphold the highest standards of accountability.
Conflict of Interest
At GIGPHSNJ staff members must avoid any conflict of interest or appearance of a conflict of interest.
Employees must avoid any activity with vendors, grantees, or others that would compromise decisions or the ability to effectively carry out the duties for which we are responsible or that would conflict with the best interest of GIGPHSNJ.